Friday, July 23, 2010

My planning internship in Paris

I had some good news this week. French Institute in Seoul told me that I would work in the Institute of Urban Planning of Ile-de-France (IAU IDF) in this fall. It is a government institution which is specialized in the study of urban planning of Paris and its surrounding area (Ile-de-France). I wanted to do an internship there when I was a student in Paris years ago. However, I couldn't dream of working there at that time with my insufficient experience. This year I originally wanted to work in the City Hall of Paris but the IAU must be a better alternative than the original.

I will work for three months from Oct 1, 2010 and be given two main missions. According to my wishes, the first mission is about analyzing Local Planning Documents (Plan Local d'Urbanisme) of various communes in Ile-de-France including those of Paris. I am greatly interested in how urban planning is established and executed at local level in France. From the French practice, I would like to propose decentralization of urban planning system in South Korea whose planning system is very centralized.

The second mission is about my country. The IAU currently studies Science Cities. They try to benchmark reknowned Science Cities in the world. They finished their work on Europe in 2009. This year it's the turn of Asia: Singapore and Seoul. I'm both excited at Seoul's nomination and the possibility of my contribution in the study.

The turn of events confirms somehow my decision of studying in Seoul rather than continuing it in Paris. However you are international or cosmopolitan, you can't detach yourself from your root and you should understand your root first.

4 comments:

  1. 희석씨, 참 잘 되었군요. 누구보다 더 잘 알아서 하겠지만, 좋은 기회를 최대한 활용해서 돌아오길 바래요! 화이팅~!!! Good luck and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 안녕하세요? 이렇게 급작스럽게 연락을 취해 죄송합니다. 저는 파리에서 도시행정학을 공부하고 있는 한국인 학생입니다. 현재 마스터 레벨을 하고 있는데 마지막 학기를 인턴쉽을 찾아서 해야만이 학위를 취득할수 있어서 현재 너무 막막한 상태에요. 이왕이면 파리에서 인턴쉽을 하고 싶은데 하신 인턴쉽이 굉장히 흥미로워 보이네요.. 어떻게 지원하신건지 여쭤봐도 될까요? 너무 막막해서 이렇게 글 남겨봅니다 감사합니다- 제 이메일 주소는: ihnji.jon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 한동안 블로그를 하지 않아서 코멘트를 이제야 봤습니다. 이번 인턴십은 프랑스 대사관에서 구해준 것이었구요 제 유학시절에는 스스로 구했는데 간신히 구했었어요. 아마 지금쯤은 구하셨을 것이라고 생각되네요. 늦은 답변 죄송하구요 인턴 잘하고 계시기를 빕니다.

      Delete