Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gated community interview

I've had 3 interviews for my gated community research as of yesterday. Interview is stressful to arrange, conduct and record but gives me much satisfaction in knowing more people and discover live knowledge. There were two things to note for yesterday's interviews.

1. Use of new technology

I bought a tablet computer before the interview after much hesitation. I was worried that the expensive device would be only used as a gadget to play with. However, yesterday's interview well proved its utility.

First, I didn't need to print out all the reading materials to read during my way to the interview place. I could read them with the tablet without having to carry heavy printouts. Second, I didn't need to print out plans for the interviewee to explain for me. The interviewee could explain his plan seeing the tablet screen and draw on it using stylus pen. The drawing was instantly saved in the tablet. The only shortcoming was the relatively small size of the screen (8").

2. Impact of the interview

My two previous interviews didn't affect the interviewees a lot because the subject of the interview was either a past event or general strategy. It was different this time. The subject of yesterday was about the reconstruction plan of an apartment complex. I pointed out the possibility of post-construction gating by residents and this had evidently not been considered by any participant of the project. I was worried and excited at the same time by the possibility of the impact of my interview for the course of the project although the chance of impact seemed to be slim. With this reason, interviews with the homeowners shouldn't be conducted because they may react a lot stronger for the possibility of gating.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment